The United Nations is an international organization founded in 1945. It is currently made up of 193 Member States. The mission and work of the United Nations are guided by the purposes and principles contained in its founding Charter.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Administrative Officer (TJO)
Job Code Title: Administrative Officer
Department/ Office: Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
Job Opening Number: 17-Administration-OCHA-71413-J- (X)
Org. Setting and Reporting
- This position is located in the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in Nigeria, Maiduguri. The Administrative Officer reports to the Deputy Head of Office.
- OCHA is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies.
- OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort.
Within delegated authority, the Administrative Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
Budget and Finance:
- Prepare and revise cost plans in line with work plans and financial rules and regulations and ensure that costs are reasonably estimated.
- Prepare quarterly requests for funds (financial authorizations) and monitor obligations and expenditures against financial authorizations in line with approved cost plans.
- Develop, implement, and maintain internal controls to monitor and ensure that financial resources are utilized to implement activities in accordance with work plans and cost plans.
- Provide guidance to functional units on financial accountability within programme responsibilities and on the effective use of programme resources. Coordinate the production of financial reports for headquarters and donors.
- Review and confirm that proposed obligations or disbursement for goods and services under third-party agreements, are reasonable and in conformity with UN Financial Rules and Regulations.
- Monitor and follow up on outstanding NGO and UN Agency reports for grants and allocations provided to third parties.
- Supervise petty cash management in accordance with established procedures, maintain accurate and complete petty cash records and receipts, and ensure that replenishments are done in a timely manner.
- Verify inter-office vouchers (IOVs) prepared by UNDP to confirm accuracy of accounts and to allow for reconciliation with OCHA’s accounting system.
- Ensure proper management of office assets, including maintenance of inventory, physical verification of assets and disposal of assets. Provide information needed to respond to audit observations/findings.
- Carry out financial, human resources, procurement, assets and properties management functions through relevant internet applications, spreadsheets, databases and Enterprise Resource Planning systems (e.g. OCHA Financial Accounting System, OCHA Contact Management System, inspira, umoja, atlas).
- Provide guidance and leadership to junior staff.
- In collaboration with the local UNDP office, coordinate actions related to recruitment and administration of national staff.
- Provide guidance on requirements of performance appraisal system and maintain a system to track compliance.
- Maintain confidential personnel files, ensuring that information is complete and updated. Ensure that separating staff finalize in-country formalities prior to their departure.
- Ensure that staff time and attendance is properly recorded, verified and submitted in a timely manner to UNDP for national staff and to the Administrative Services Branch, for international staff.
- Support procurement of goods through UNDP or Headquarters and ensure that appropriate procedures are duly followed.
- Verify receipt of goods and services, ensuring specification, condition and quantities of goods are correct and paperwork is complete and properly filed.
- Control and manage equipment (disposal, inventory, NEP/inventory reporting, and fleet management).
- Ensure that the corporate administration of common premises & Service Agreements are done in accordance to OCHA standard templates.
- In collaboration with the Department of Safety and Security (DSS) and Head of OCHA field office assist in ensuring Minimum Operation Security Standards (MOSS) compliance for vehicles, office and residential premises.
- Ensure that the office premises are well maintained and provided with common services.
- Oversee the identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems.
- Ensure adequate level of office supplies and maintain a system for office supplies allocation and tracking.
- Supervise and/or prepare travel authorizations, ensuring appropriate justification, costing and approvals are in place.
- Verify travel claims submitted for settlement and track outstanding payments.
- Maintain a central filing system; ensuring consistent use and appropriate archiving of official administrative, finance, and human resource documents.
- Represent OCHA at meetings on administrative issues such as national salary scales, common services, premises, etc.
- Supervise national administrative staff on a regular basis, ensuring support and mentoring.
- Perform other duties and/or assignments as required.
Min Required Experience:
- Advanced university Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in Business or Public Administration, Finance, Accounting, Law or related area.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in administration, finance, accounting, human resources management, or other related area.
- Field experience in emergency situations is desirable.
- Experience within the United Nations common system handling finance-related matters is desirable
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
- Technical competence and proven track record in overall administration with emphasis on financial activities, and good knowledge of the United Nations Financial Rules and Regulations as well as accounting practices; good understanding of general administration and human resources management; competence in administrative support for field-based activities.
- Solid experience in organizational work and cost planning with the ability to set priorities and to plan, coordinate, and monitor own work plan and those under the supervision; ability to identify priority activities and adjust them.
- Proactively service staff and other clients to propose appropriate solutions.
- Technical competence in the use of Enterprise Planning Systems. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
Application Closing Date
9th January, 2017.
If any company or recruiter demands money from you, please report to us immediately. View how to detect fake recruiters/companies Here
Have difficulty applying via above button? You can Click Here to Apply
Some Similiar Companies Currently Recruiting
5 Positions – Not Specified
3 Positions – Not Specified
2 Positions – Not Specified