235 dead bodies have been recovered so far from Sufi Mosque, scene of a suicide attack said to be the deadliest in Egypt’s modern history.
The explosion which came after Islamist militants detonated a bomb inside a crowded mosque on Friday, and also shot at panicked worshipers who fled the building, also left 109 people wounded.
Though no one has claimed responsibility for the attack that occurred in a small town in the insurgency-racked Sinai Peninsula, but the strike bears the hallmarks of an attack by ISIS. Witnesses also claimed that the attackers also opened fire on ambulances.
In a short, televised speech after meeting with security officials, Sisi said, “We will respond to this act with brute force against these terrorists. This terrorist act will strengthen our resolve, steadfastness and will to stand up to, resist and battle against terrorism.”