An eleven-month-old baby girl, Leila Landim, has died in hospital after drinking herbal oil meant to be used as a chest rub.
Leila Landim spent more than a week in intensive care after grabbing camphor oil from the head of her mother’s bed and pulling it towards her face.
Her 23 year old mother, Jessica Landim, described how her little girl suffered seizures and foamed at the mouth in the terrifying moments after.
Ms Landim said:
‘She started coughing in a desperate way – I thought she was choking.
‘She was having mini-seizures, her lips turned blue and really big. Then her tongue was rolling around out of her mouth, and she was only breathing every five to 10 seconds.
‘There was lots of oil on her clothing. She was foaming at the mouth too, and looking through me. I was shaking, it’s indescribable how you feel – I still can’t stand still.’
She warned other parents:
“These are household essentials, and I don’t think people realise how serious it can get – we didn’t.
Paying tribute to her ‘beautiful baby girl’, law student Ms Landim said:
‘She had the biggest smile, and that she isn’t smiling now, it’s not right. To me, she’s still alive. She’ll always live – whether it’s just in my heart, she will live on.’
Source – DailyMail