Terre des hommes Foundation (Tdh) is the leading Swiss NGO focusing on child rights. It is active in more than 30 countries with development and emergency projects. Tdh focuses its action on the two following areas of intervention: health and protection of particularly vulnerable children. Modern management and communication tools ensure the quality of Tdh’s projects. The Foundation constantly aims to improve its services.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Country Representative
Location: Abuja & Maiduguri
Activity Rate: 100%
Start Date: 01.09.2017
Duration : 6 months, more if funding available.
- In line with the 2017 Humanitarian Needs and Requirement Overview for Nigeria, more than 8 Millions of people require humanitarian assistance, especially located in the Northeastern part of Nigeria, Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe.
- Tdh, present in the South West of Nigeria since 2009 through child protection activities decided to launch an analysis of the situation, with a specific focus on Child Protection, Health and WASH, in the aim to extend its activities to participate to the humanitarian response in the Northeastern part to support the populations affected by the drought, famine and insurgency.
General Description of the Position
- As representative of the organisation, the Country representative coordinates and manages all activities linked to Terre des hommes projects in the posting country: project cycle management, networking, local fund raising, staff management, safety and security, finance and administration.
- He/she supports Terre des hommes local partners. He/she manages and develops the organisation’s intervention strategy jointly with the head office.
Strategy and Institutional Policy:
- To ensure implementation and compliance to Terre des hommes Foundation Strategic Plan, Terre des hommes regional strategic plan and Terre des hommes thematic policies in the field.
- Together with the desk, to elaborate, implement and review the country strategy for Terre des hommes in Nigeria.
Project Cycle Management:
- To manage, supervise and coordinate all the activities related to the implementation of Terre des hommes’s projects in South Sudan according to the proposal guidelines and indicators, budget and work plans.
- In consultation with Terre des hommes’s Emergency desk, to develop new projects in-line with Terre des hommes strategic plan and thematic policies.
- To develop annual and/or project work plans.
- To develop monitoring and evaluation systems for all project work.
- Together with the Senior Management Team and the project staff, to review the progress of each project monthly.
- With the technical support of the Resource Persons (thematic), to monitor the quality of the work carried out and to suggest means of improvements.
- To assess the efficacy and effectiveness of the work carried out and to identify ways for further improvements.
- To provide the Desk with quality monthly activity reports and annual reports in line with project objectives and indicators.
- To provide the Desk and/or the donors with quality intermediate and final project reports as per contract.
- To be responsible for the overall financial management of the delegation.
- To ensure a tight follow up of all budgets including donors contracts and takes necessary actions in case of over/under expenditure.
- To work with the finance and admin coordinator on budgeting, accounting and auditing as required.
Human Resources Management:
- To manage (supervision, support, training, etc.) Terre des hommes employees in Nigeria, expatriates as well as local staff.
- To recruit Terre des hommes local staff.
- To elaborate, implements and updates the delegation personal policy.
Representation and Networking:
- To represent the organisation in the country, particularly to the government, official agencies, other non-governmental agencies, partners and the community.
- To ensure that all formalities required by government and other official agencies are properly prepared and punctually presented.
- To actively participate in meetings and fora organised by the GO/NGO/UN sectors as relevant to Terre des hommes work in the country.
- To liaise strategically with Government representatives as well as with potential in country donors including SDC as a bilateral donor.
- To develop and maintain sound relations with potential donors (institutional, local, etc).
- To identify new funding sources.
- To initiate and lead the development of new project proposals.
- To secure new contracts.
- To implement and updates Terre des hommes delegation’s rules and procedures.
- To ensure that contracts, rules and procedures meet all requirements of national law.
Child Safeguarding Policy:
- To commit to respect Tdh Risk Management Policies including: Child Safeguarding Policy,
- Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption Policy, Whistle Blowing Policy
- To commit to ensure the best implementation possible of the Tdh Risk Management.
Policies in Nigeria:
- To commit to inform supervisors and to deal with any cases, allegations, or possibility of transgression, even potential, of the Tdh Risk Management Policies.
Min Required Experience:
- University Degree in relevant field
Experiences and Aptitudes:
- At least 5 years previous experience of seniority in an NGO at a management position in the field (expatriation)
- Successful track record of developing humanitarian strategies and securing high levels of funding from institutional donors (OFDA; BPRM; DFID; ECHO; UN; etc.)
- Extensive project management experience (management; planning; staff development and training skills) in emergency. Management experience and strong team leadership qualities
- Excellent knowledge of project cycle management (PCM) and strong command of PCM tools
- Ability to work well and punctually under pressure
- A commitment to excellence; attention to detail
- Excellent oral and writing skills in English C2, French an asset
- Swiss salaried contract 3’800 CHF (~3’300 €) 5’200 CHF (~4’500 €) net/month according to experience x 13, Holidays: 25 days per year.
- Local accommodation and transportation, Health insurance, accident and medical repatriation insurance, return flight.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
If any company or recruiter demands money from you, please report to us immediately. View how to detect fake recruiters/companies Here
Post your Job adverts on Acken Classifieds and instantly reach out to millions of job seekers nationwide. CLICK HERE