Terre des hommes Foundation (Tdh) is the leading Swiss NGO focusing on child rights. It is active in more than 30 countries with development and emergency projects. Tdh focuses its action on the two following areas of intervention: health and protection of particularly vulnerable children. Modern management and communication tools ensure the quality of Tdh’s projects. The Foundation constantly aims to improve its services.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health & Nutrition Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri – Nigeria
Activity rate: 100%
Start date of post: 01.09.2017
Duration : 6 months, more if funding available.
- In line with the 2017 Humanitarian Needs and Requirement Overview for Nigeria, more than 8 Millions of people require humanitarian assistance, especially located in the Northeastern part of Nigeria, Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe.
- Tdh, present in the South West of Nigeria since 2009 through child protection activities decided to launch an analysis of the situation, with a specific focus on Child Protection, Health and WASH*, in the aim to extend its activities to participate to the humanitarian* response in the Northeastern part to support the populations affected by the drought, famine and insurgency.
General Description of the Position
- The Project Manager – Health and Nutrition is responsible for the management and implementation of the Health and Nutrition Project implemented in Nigeria, Borno state.
The position has a 5 pronged dimension:
- Day-to-day implementation and follow-up of the activities
- Support and capacity building of our national counterpart (MoH)
- Provision of technical support for the health and nutrition sector in Tdh mission
- Network and representation with keys partners (Governement and INGO)
- Responsible for the M&E for Tdh project
Objective 1: Project Cycle Management:
- Implementation of TdH’s health and nutrition activities in Borno, online with the framework and proposal, including indicators;
- Writing of the narrative monthly, quarterly, intermediate and final reports, according to the templates and requirements of the donor;
- Writing of monthly internal reports of activities, and as requested by his/her line manager;
- Planning of activities. He/she must provide activity planning for all the duration of the project, as well as monthly and/or as requested;
- Management of resources. Together with the logistic and administrative departments in the base, he/she participates in the definition and planning of needs, budgetary planning and/or requests;
- Ensures that TdH’s policies on security, child protection and fraud prevention are know by all staff and counterparts under his/her management, and strictly implemented;
- Creates and applies a communication and visibility plan in the project(s) under his/her responsibility;
- Designs, and ensures the correct implementation of a monitoring plan for the activities and staff of our local counterparts;
- Designs, and implements correctly, a data gathering system and tools as needed for the implementation of the project;
- Ensures the capitalization of lessons learnt and good practices in formal documents;
- As needed and requested, produces the PSRs for the procurement of items in the project, defines the technical specifications of any item to be purchased and collaborates with the Logistic Department in Yei for the successful implementation of procurement processes;
- Ensures that all other logistic procedures (such as movement planning, planning of resources’ needs, etc.) for his/her team are complied, following TdH’s standard practices and policies.
Objective 2: Coordination and Representation:
- Participates in internal coordination meetings as needed and requested;
- Participates in external coordination meetings (Cluster meetings, meetings with health authorities) and ensures the correct technical coordination of TdH health and nutrition activities;
- Represents TdH in front of the Ministry of Health in Borno capital, as requested;
- Ensures the correct integration of TdH’s Health and Nutrition activities and strategy in the Ministry of Health’s plans, policies and regulations;
- Ensures the coordination and solves potential overlapping of activities with other organizations and actors in the health and nutrition sector in Lainya and Yei;
- As requested by his/her Line Manager, take part in the definition of strategic orientation for the mission, be it in the operational or in the technical part;
- Ensures communication and reporting regarding technical matters, as needed, with the Nutrition and Health Coordinator or, in his/her absence, with the Health Specialist in HQ;
- Participates, as requested by his/her Line Manager, in the writing of Health and Nutrition proposals.
Objective 3: Management of Human Resources:
- As needed by the project’s implementation needs, and as requested by his/her line manager, takes part in the definition of the team neded for the correct implementation of the project, or any other member of the Health and Nutrition department;
- Ensures the correct implementation of HR policies inside the team controlled by him/her. Is responsible for the appraisal of competences of his/her team, according to the regular calendar and practices of TdH;
- Is responsible for the writing and updating of the job descriptions of the member of the Health and Nutrition team;
- Recruit, trains and supervises the Health and Nutrition staff for the project, according to needs and job description’s definitions. Ensures a long-term vision in the building of capacity of the mission’s Health and Nutrition staff.
Min Required Experience:
- This function requires the mastery of Personal, Social and Leadership Competencies (PSLC), Technical and Methodological Competencies (TMC) and Management and Strategic Competencies (MSC)
- Adaptable to changing situations, and to be able to change the orientation and planning of activities according to a changing environment
- Able to work under stress, be it because of the exigences of the workload and because of the security situation in Borno State
- Able to manage his/her emotions in the implementation of activities, as well as the general live in Borno
- Negotiation ability, in order to successfully defend TdH’s interests and the activities and goals of the project
- Analytical, able to plan and enforce planning. Strategic, being able to define long-term policies and goals for his/her team
- Culturally sensitive, adapting his/her behavior and manners to the reality of Nigeria, and of Borno State in particular
- Proactive and independent, able to work autonomously and to propose solutions to problems in a creative and realistic manner
- Is able to establish and manage his/her priorities correctly
- Able to work in a team, be it in a horizontal (together with the rest of departments, as well as externally with counterparts) or vertical (to the team managed by him/her)
- Excellent communication skills in English
As well as the following specific « professional » competencies:
- Degree in Medicine or Nursing
- At least four years of experience in the implementation of Health and Nutrition projects
- Excellent knowledge of the LogFrame Approach
- Excellent level of English, written and spoken
- Excellent handling of IT tools, be it generalistic (Windows, Office, etc.) as well specific (EPI-INFO, etc.)
- Experience working in rural African contexts
- Experience in representation, lobbying and advocacy
Child Safeguarding Policy:
- Raising awareness within the Foundation on violence against children.
- Providing guidance to employees and others and defining expectations when it comes to preventing, raising, denouncing and responding to issues of child abuse.
- Reducing the risk of child abuse by selectively recruiting employees and others.
- Reducing the risk of child abuse by developing a culture of open and informed leadership within the organization and in our work with children.
- Swiss salaried contract 3,400 CHF (2,950 €) 4’750 CHF (4,100 €) net /month according to experience x 13 times, Vacancy: 25 days annual leaves local accommodation and transportation, Health insurance, accident and medical repatriation insurance, return flight.
- We offer an exciting and varied work, useful and meaningful, in a team that wants to make a difference for vulnerable children.
- Are you interested? Do you want to face this challenge?
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
If any company or recruiter demands money from you, please report to us immediately. View how to detect fake recruiters/companies Here
Post your Job adverts on Acken Classifieds and instantly reach out to millions of job seekers nationwide. CLICK HERE