Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Mauritania, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, United Republic of Tanzania, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in IOM Nigeria country office and in close coordination with the Regional Resources Management Officer (RRMO) in Dakar Senegal , and in cooperation with the Department of Resources Management (DRM) and relevant units at Headquarters (HQs) as well as the Administrative Centres in Manila and Panama, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for managing the budgetary, financial, human resources, procurement, logistics and administrative functions of the IOM Nigeria main officer in Abuja and its Sub-Offices.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Monitor and oversee the financial management for all activities including the oversight of financial expenditure and accountability; and in coordination with CoM and RRMO undertake financial analysis of all activities for Abuja and its sub-offices in Lagos.
- Supervise and coordinate the preparation of donor financial reports in accordance with established procedures.
- Maintain appropriate internal controls to safeguard the Organization’s assets, control cash and prevent fraud. Strengthen internal controls by documenting and streamlining approval processes including control of accounts, control of cash management.
- Assist the CoM, Head of Sub-Office (HoSO) and Project Managers in the preparation of Programme and Budget reports and proposals and review monthly accounts of the Country Office in Nigeria.
- Supervise the management of the treasury by forecasting cash flows according to activities in Nigeria and ensuring daily control of funds disbursed; ensure funding is received in accordance with donor agreements.
- Oversee budget control process and analyze variances between budget and actual expenditures based on the donor agreements; and in coordination with RRMO and other relevant Units/Departments in RO and HQs evaluate monthly financial reports for all projects and take action to resolve anomalies and unusual trends.
- Make recommendations on procedural improvements in the relevant areas of procurement, administration and finance.
- Inspect payroll versus budgets, ensuring that salaries are correctly allocated to projects consistent with IOM’s projectization criteria.
- Assist CoM and HoSO in managing the human resources functions and make recommendations on recruitment, retention, promotion, and separation of staff. Apply HR policies and procedures, and make recommendations for resolving difficult or sensitive cases, in coordination with RRMO.
- Supervise and train local staff on IOM’s administrative/financial policies and procedures.
- Undertake regular travel to sub-office in view to building financial management capacity of Admin/Finance staff in the field, ensuring that IOM‘s policies and procedures are followed and in coordination with HoSO, performing spot checks to service providers/contractors on financial part for project implementation.
- Supervise the procurement and logistic services, including contracts with suppliers of goods/services and related administration authorities; oversee the management of the fleet of vehicles and maintenance of buildings as well as the functioning of all support services.
- Liaise with other internal functional units of the Office, as well as banking, donor and government counterparts and other stakeholders as required in the performance of the resources management function.
- Provide support to the COM and Project Managers in answering any queries raised regarding the correct allocation of project funds and provide any requisite documentation. Manage the financial aspects of both internal and external audits; liaising with program managers, regional office and Headquarters (HQs) departments as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Min Required Experience:
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA),
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified
- Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage.
- Experience in financial management, accounting and budgeting;
- Experience in the field of resources management, IOM project financial planning and budget revision management;
- Good knowledge of human resources management;
- Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with international institutions;
- Familiarity with financial oversight and public administration;
- Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and SAP highly desirable;
- Audit experience highly regarded;
- Knowledge of audit, monitoring and evaluation;
- Knowledge of information technology and related issues a distinct advantage.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 19 January 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contactd. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 06.01.2017 to 19.01.2017
Requisition: VN 2017/07 (P) – Resource Management Officer (P3) – Abuja, Nigeria (54932082) Released
Posting: Posting NC54932089 (54932089) Released
If any company or recruiter demands money from you, please report to us immediately. View how to detect fake recruiters/companies Here
Click Here To Apply